Online Scratch DJ Training and Community
Do you want to learn how to scratch DJ?
Would you like to become a Turntablist but don’t know where to begin?
Learning to scratch takes the right combination of knowledge and deliberate practice. Whilst there is no shortcut to this process, what makes all the difference is having the scratch techniques and ways to practice them properly explained and broken down for you step by step. Whether you have no idea how to begin scratching or if you’re struggling to make progress, I share what I’ve learned throughout the past 18 years during my 1000’s of hours of scratching. I demystify the art and help you start scratching as simply as possible. I believe that anyone can scratch, it just takes patience, dedication, and the right amount of focused learning.
That’s why I created School of Scratch.
– Emma Holmes
Sometimes, you need to slow down… to speed up.
What is the School of Scratch?
School of Scratch (est. 2014) is the definitive online how to scratch course and online community. Learn at your own pace, using clearly broken down, high quality HD scratch tutorial videos, taught by Emma Holmes of Studio Scratches.
Scratch Tutorial Videos from Emma Holmes
High quality scratch video tutorials you’ll love to watch, with each step thoughtfully broken down and made simple, so you can put it into practice right away. Train with QnA practice videos.
Support & Community
Connect with other Scratch DJs in the Discussion Forums. Share your progress and tips and be inspired on your scratch journey! Share content and inspiration in our private Facebook group.
What’s Inside the Classroom?
The classroom is the place to go for highly focused, concentrated scratch tuition in easy to follow courses.
- Course 1 – Equipment Needed (9 videos)
- Course 2 – Equipment Set Up (6 videos)
- Course 3 – Before you Start Scratching (3 videos)
- Course 4 – Scratch Techniques (26 videos)
- Course 5 – Scratch Combos (19 videos)
- Course 6 – Scratch & Music Theory (10 videos)
- Course 7 – Technical Guides (3 Videos)
- Course 8 – QnA Training Videos (22 videos)
Each video is fully comprehensive and contains step-by-step instruction, broken down into manageable bite size chunks to make learning as simple and effective as possible.
Watch An Entire Sample Video Tutorial
Course 1 – Equipment Needed
A comprehensive overview of each piece of equipment needed, what it is, why you need it (if it isn’t too obvious) and how it is used in scratching. Simple but essential stuff!
- Scratch DJ Equipment Buyers Guide – eBook PDF download.
- Turntables – 04:15
- Cartridge & Stylus – 02:02
- Mixer – 04:02
- Slipmats – 02:48
- Scratch Vinyl – 02:44
- Instrumentals – 04:14
- DVS – 02:51
- Digital Scratch Records / Samples – 02:09
- Amp / Headphones / Speakers – 01:07
9 Videos, Total Time: 26:12
Course 2 – Equipment Set Up
All the information, tips and tricks that you need to set up your equipment for the ultimate silky smooth scratching experience. It covers all the small things that make a BIG difference.
- Setup / Plugging In – 03:16
- Tone Arm Adjustment For Skip Free Needles – 03:09
- Record Hole Adjustment – 03:10
- Finding Samples and Marking Records – 03:36
- How to EQ Your Records – 01:39
- Table Height – 01:12
6 Videos, Total Time: 16:02
Course 3 – Before you Start Scratching
We’re almost ready to get on the tables and start cutting it up, but before we do that, it’s important to first consider a few final things.
- Which Hand Should I Use On The Crossfader? – 04:59
- Hamster / Reverse vs Regular Crossfader – 04:31
- Scratch Notation / TTM – 03:50
3 Videos, Total Time: 13:20
Course 4 – Scratch Techniques
I break down each scratch technique slowly and thoroughly, to give you the best chance of building a solid scratch foundation. The end of each tutorial contains a QnA where I perform the techniques slowly and then leave space for you to copy me.
- Baby Scratch – 11 mins
- Drops – 13 mins
- Forward Scratch – 10 mins
- Reverse Scratch– 10 mins
- Stab Scratch – 14 mins
- Transformer Scratch – 18 mins
- Chirp Scratch – 22 mins
- Flare Scratch – 24 mins
- Crab Scratch – 27 mins
- Slice Scratch – 18 mins
- Tears– 19 mins
- Dicing – 17 mins
- 2 Click Flare – 16 mins
- Twiddle – 22 mins
- 3 Click Flare – 19 mins
- Delayed 3 Click Flare – 23 mins
- Original Flare – 20 mins
- Echo Scratch (Upfader Technique) – 23 mins
- Fades / Fading (Upfader Technique) – 23 mins
- Drags – 28m
- TranSlice – 19m
- Regular Fader Demo – 2m
- Whips – 19m
- Short-E Special Scratch – 14m
- Hydroplane – 24m
- Pushes – 17m
26 Videos, Total Time: 7 hours 52 min
Course 5 – Scratch Combos
Once you have learnt some of the basic scratch techniques, it’s time to start linking them together into “scratch combos”. I can’t wait to share my favourite combos that I perform in my QnA videos with you.
- Military Scratch – 16 mins
- Chirp Flare Scratch – 25 mins
- See Saws – 17 mins
- Boomerang – 21 mins
- Swing Flare – 20 mins
- 2 Click Chirp Flare – 16 mins
- Joe Cooley – 26m
- A6 Autobahn – 19m
- Fast Autobahn – 21m
- Slow Autobahn – 25m
- A8 Autobahn Minus 5th Sound – 15m
- Swing Flare > Dices > Release – 13m
- Swingy Boomerang – 12m
- Reverse Crab > Tear / Release – 13m
- Crab > Dice > Release > Drag > Translice – 20m
- 3 Click Flare Twist: Twiddle + Extra Click – 12m
- Travelling Boomerang / Autobahn > Crabs > Transforms – 15m
- Switch Tazer – 10m
- BoomFlare – 18m
This section also includes my DJcity.com “Scratch Combo of the Month” series with extra breakdown info:
- Baby > Half Chirp > Reverse Dice > Translice – 4m
- Half Boomerang > Flare > Crab > Translice – 5m
- A6 Autobahn Styles – 6m
- 3 Click > 1 Click Flare > Whip – 4m
- Swing Flare > Dice / Forwards – 4m
- Whip > Dice > Drag – 6m
- Baby > 2 Click Flare – 4m
- Swing Flare Stabs – 6m
- Joe Cooley Flares – 6m
- Transforms to Swing Flare – 5m
- Boomerang, Flare, Reverse Crab, Drag – 5m
- Transforms, Swing Flare – 4m
- Crab, 1 click flare, transforms – 6m
- Forwards, Transforms, Reverse, Boomerang – 3m
- Swing flare, 1 click flare, forwards – 6m
- Boomerang Pause – 7m
- Baby with transforms, slices, dices and a drag – 7m
- 2 click flare twiddle over a 2 part vocal – 9m
- Slice, 2 transforms forward, reverse crab and flare combo – 7m
- Reverse crab and flares – 6m
- Slice and transforms – 8m
- Military, swing flare / boomerang – 8m
- Delayed flare styles – 9m
- Forward, reverse, crab – 8m
43 Videos, Total Time: 8 hours.
Course 6 – Scratch & Music Theory
Make your scratching flow and become more musical in your expression.
- Counting Beats & Bars – 10m
- Beats, Note Length & Timing – 10m
- Triplets – 6m
- Syncopation – 21m
- Syncopation in Action – 46
- Swing – 22m
- Vocal Cuts – 41m – The ultimate guide to scratching with vocal samples!
- Vocal Cuts part 2 – 11m
- Stutter Vocal Cuts – 20m
- Say It Before You Play It – 6m
10 Videos, Total Time: 3 hours 14 mins.
Course 7 – QnA Training Videos
Not got anyone to jam with? Now you do! Practice your scratching with me. 22 Videos, Total Time: 3 hours 56 mins.
Course 8 – Technical Guides
This section covers technical tips and tricks that can help your scratch life easier! Currently featuring 3 super helpful videos from guest tutor and video pro Suckertash, with more planned.
- How To Record Better Scratch Videos – Part 1 – Equipment & Setup – 7 mins
- How To Record Better Scratch Videos – Part 2 – Recording – 5 mins
- How To Record Better Scratch Videos – Part 3 – Post Production / Editing – 10 mins
3 Videos, Total Time: 22 mins.
Combined Total School of Scratch Video Time: 24 hours 20 mins
Ready to learn how to scratch? Join School of Scratch today.
School of Scratch also contains:
Two places to connect with others and get support, via…
A community discussion forum section where you can:
- Meet other DJs.
- Ask your peers scratch related questions.
- Share links to your scratch videos and get feedback from other students.
- Share your progress and tips and be inspired on your scratch journey!
Chat to fellow classmates via text in real time, by jumping into the live scratch room and broadcast your practice with your webcam and jam with others. There is also a very active private Facebook group so you can connect with our amazingly supportive community of like minded DJs aka the Supa Scratch Crew.
About Your Tutor
Meet your classmates – The Supa Scratch Crew
The Supa Scratch Crew are the awesome members of School of Scratch. They are scratch DJs from all over the world, who have varying levels of skill and experience. I have never met such an amazingly supportive, positive, encouraging group of DJs who care about each other’s progress and experience in the School and in life. When you join School of Scratch, you are joining our crew. We are family!
Join School of Scratch
Classroom of HD Scratch Tutorial Videos
QnA Training Videos
Community Discussion Forums
Live Video Scratch Room available 24/7
Live Group Scratch Jams hosted by fellow students
Private Facebook Group Access
Group collaboration video and promo
Monthly Scratch Challenges (with feedback from Emma)
100 Days of Scratching Ultimate Support Package
24+ hours of content
Fr-fr-fresh content added EVERY MONTH.
Ahhh & Fresh Samples
10 Beats for Scratch Practice
Speed Booster Training mp3
How do I get started & how much does it cost?
Choose a membership option below to get started today. As soon as you purchase, you will get immediate access (via user name and password) to the School of Scratch.
Choose a Membership option:
Most affordable. Spread the cost of learning.
$49 a month*
- *Membership renews automatically every month, cancel anytime
BEST VALUE – A single one off payment gets you unlimited lifetime access to the School and community.
Registration for November 2018 is now CLOSED!
Enrolment for our December intake opens on November 23, 2018.
Unlimited Lifetime Access = $749 single payment
Lifetime Bonuses and Perks include:
- Ultimate Beats for Scratch Practice download ($70 value)
- Ultimate Scratch Samples download ($25 value)
- Supa Scratch Crew Control Vinyl Labels
Payment Plan Available
Spread the cost and pay 3 payments of $250.
*You will be charged $250 a month for 3 months.
“I am a complete beginner, I am worried I am not good enough to join.“
Please don’t worry! You are the reason School of Scratch was created! Complete beginners are catered to and walked through the process. You’ll be cutting it up fresh in no time!
“What equipment do I need?”
Course 1 – “Equipment Needed” walks you through the equipment you need to enjoy scratching. Put simply, you need: A turntable with cartridge and stylus, mixer, slipmat and some vinyl to scratch with. If you would like to know more, download my Scratch DJ Equipment Guide. You’ll also need an internet connection to log into the School and watch the videos and interact in the community.
“You scratch hamster and with your right hand on the crossfader, but I scratch regular and / or with my other hand on the fader. Can I still learn and benefit?”
Absolutely! Scratching can be broken down into moving the record backwards and forwards whilst opening and closing the crossfader. Simply take these principles and apply it to whichever hand you use on the crossfader, hamster or regular.
“I use a controller, not turntables + a mixer. Can I benefit from the lessons?”
YES! I mainly teach using turntables and vinyl DVS AND I also have 17 lessons teaching the basics on a Reloop Beatpad 2 controller, using Algoriddim djay 2 software. Scratching with digital controllers is totally possible, it just feels a little different than using vinyl, because the platters don’t spin and are so much smaller. Many controllerists use my tutorials and adapt the basic principles to their digital setup. The art of scratching is really about moving the platters backwards and forwards and turning the crossfader off and on. It’s only the finer subtleties of the moving platter that are missing when you use a controller. I also recommend watching the free tutorial on this page to see if you can apply the principles to the specific controller you are using. Both vinyl heads and controllerists are welcome in the school!
“How often are new videos added?”
New scratch tutorials are added every month.
“Will you make a tutorial on the super duper uzi triple backflip scratch?”
If I can do the technique well enough to show you, yes! You can suggest techniques to be covered in the community forums.
“Aren’t there free scratch tutorial videos on YouTube I can watch and learn from?”
Yes AND the School of Scratch is a dedicated place to learn from professionally recorded, high quality videos, in an order that makes the most sense. You won’t have to search to find what’s next or piece together incomplete information. You’ll also benefit from being around myself and a positive community to support your scratch journey. After all, scratching is so much more than just techniques!
“Do you have any advanced techniques?”
Yes, how about the autobahn for starters? The School is mainly focused towards beginners / intermediates and all levels are welcome! If you are more advanced – don’t forget the QnA section where you can jam along, or you can hang out in the forums or live room and even help others! Inspiration is possible at every level, we got you covered!
“Is there any minimum commitment or lock-in on the monthly membership?”
No, absolutely not. You can cancel anytime. I am dedicated to creating content and the community to ensure that your membership is valuable to your scratch journey and I understand if you need to leave at any time. You are also welcome back at any time! We are a family!
“I have another question…”
Other questions? Email them to email@example.com.
Ready to learn how to scratch? – Join School of Scratch today!
SoS Students in Action
Some of our current students in action using skills honed in the School.