Online Scratch DJ Training and Community
Do you want to learn how to scratch DJ?
Would you like to become a Turntablist but don’t know where to begin?
You don’t have to go it alone! Learning to scratch takes a combination of instruction and deliberate practice. Whilst there is no shortcut to this process, what makes all the difference is having the scratch techniques and ways to practice them properly explained and broken down for you step by step. Whether you have no idea how to begin scratching or if you’re struggling to make progress, I share what I’ve learned throughout the past 22 years during my 1000’s of hours of scratching. I demystify the art and help you start scratching as simply as possible. I believe that anyone can scratch, it just takes patience, dedication, and the right amount of focused learning.
That’s why I created School of Scratch!
– Emma Short-E
Sometimes, you need to slow down… to speed up.
Join School of Scratch today!
What is the School of Scratch?
School of Scratch (est. 2014) is the definitive online how to scratch course and online community. Learn at your own pace, using clearly broken down, high quality HD scratch tutorial videos, taught by Emma Short-E of Studio Scratches. School of Scratch is independent, scratcher owned and operated.
Scratch Tutorial Videos from Emma Holmes
High quality scratch video tutorials you’ll love to watch, with each step thoughtfully broken down and made simple, so you can put it into practice right away. Train with QnA practice videos.
Support & Community
Connect with other Scratch DJs in the Discussion Forums. Share your progress and be inspired on your scratch journey! Share content and inspiration in our private Facebook group and private Discord server.
What’s Inside the Classroom?
The classroom is the place to go for highly focused, concentrated scratch tuition in easy to follow courses.
- Course 1 – Equipment Needed (9 videos)
- Course 2 – Equipment Set Up (6 videos)
- Course 3 – Before you Start Scratching (3 videos)
- Course 4 – Scratch Techniques (26 videos)
- Course 5 – Scratch Combos (19 videos)
- Course 6 – Scratch & Music Theory (10 videos)
- Course 7 – Technical Guides (3 Videos)
- Course 8 – QnA Training Videos (22 videos)
Each video is fully comprehensive and contains step-by-step instruction, broken down into manageable bite size chunks to make learning as simple and effective as possible.
Watch An Entire Sample Video Tutorial
Course 1 – Equipment Needed
A comprehensive overview of each piece of equipment needed, what it is, why you need it (if it isn’t too obvious) and how it is used in scratching. Simple but essential stuff!
- Scratch DJ Equipment Buyers Guide – eBook PDF download.
- Turntables – 04:15
- Cartridge & Stylus – 02:02
- Mixer – 04:02
- Slipmats – 02:48
- Scratch Vinyl – 02:44
- Instrumentals – 04:14
- DVS – 02:51
- Digital Scratch Records / Samples – 02:09
- Amp / Headphones / Speakers – 01:07
9 Videos, Total Time: 26:12
Course 2 – Equipment Set Up
All the information, tips and tricks that you need to set up your equipment for the ultimate silky smooth scratching experience. It covers all the small things that make a BIG difference.
- Setup / Plugging In – 03:16
- Tone Arm Adjustment For Skip Free Needles – 03:09
- Record Hole Adjustment – 03:10
- Finding Samples and Marking Records – 03:36
- How to EQ Your Records – 01:39
- Table Height – 01:12
6 Videos, Total Time: 16:02
Course 3 – Before you Start Scratching
We’re almost ready to get on the tables and start cutting it up, but before we do that, it’s important to first consider a few final things.
- Which Hand Should I Use On The Crossfader? – 04:59
- Hamster / Reverse vs Regular Crossfader – 04:31
- Scratch Notation – 03:50
3 Videos, Total Time: 13:20
Course 4 – Scratch Techniques
I break down each scratch technique slowly and thoroughly, to give you the best chance of building a solid scratch foundation. The end of each tutorial contains a QnA where I perform the techniques slowly and then leave space for you to copy me.
- Baby Scratch – 11 mins
- Drops – 13 mins
- Forward Scratch – 10 mins
- Reverse Scratch– 10 mins
- Stab Scratch – 14 mins
- Transformer Scratch – 18 mins
- Chirp Scratch – 22 mins
- Flare Scratch – 24 mins
- Crab Scratch – 27 mins
- Slice Scratch – 18 mins
- Tears– 19 mins
- Dicing – 17 mins
- 2 Click Flare – 16 mins
- Twiddle – 22 mins
- 3 Click Flare – 19 mins
- Delayed 3 Click Flare – 23 mins
- Original Flare – 20 mins
- Echo Scratch (Upfader Technique) – 23 mins
- Fades / Fading (Upfader Technique) – 23 mins
- Drags – 28m
- TranSlice – 19m
- Regular Fader Demo – 2m
- Whips – 19m
- Short-E Special Scratch – 14m
- Hydroplane – 24m
- Pushes – 17m
26 Videos, Total Time: 7 hours 52 min
Course 5 – Scratch Combos
Once you have learnt some of the basic scratch techniques, it’s time to start linking them together into “scratch combos”. I can’t wait to share my favourite combos that I perform in my QnA videos with you.
- Military Scratch – 16 mins
- Chirp Flare Scratch – 25 mins
- See Saws – 17 mins
- Boomerang – 21 mins
- Swing Flare – 20 mins
- 2 Click Chirp Flare – 16 mins
- Joe Cooley – 26m
- A6 Autobahn – 19m
- Fast Autobahn – 21m
- Slow Autobahn – 25m
- A8 Autobahn Minus 5th Sound – 15m
- Swing Flare > Dices > Release – 13m
- Swingy Boomerang – 12m
- Reverse Crab > Tear / Release – 13m
- Crab > Dice > Release > Drag > Translice – 20m
- 3 Click Flare Twist: Twiddle + Extra Click – 12m
- Travelling Boomerang / Autobahn > Crabs > Transforms – 15m
- Switch Tazer – 10m
- BoomFlare – 18m
This section also includes my DJcity “Scratch Combo of the Month” series with extra breakdown info:
- Baby > Half Chirp > Reverse Dice > Translice – 4m
- Half Boomerang > Flare > Crab > Translice – 5m
- A6 Autobahn Styles – 6m
- 3 Click > 1 Click Flare > Whip – 4m
- Swing Flare > Dice / Forwards – 4m
- Whip > Dice > Drag – 6m
- Baby > 2 Click Flare – 4m
- Swing Flare Stabs – 6m
- Joe Cooley Flares – 6m
- Transforms to Swing Flare – 5m
- Boomerang, Flare, Reverse Crab, Drag – 5m
- Transforms, Swing Flare – 4m
- Crab, 1 click flare, transforms – 6m
- Forwards, Transforms, Reverse, Boomerang – 3m
- Swing flare, 1 click flare, forwards – 6m
- Boomerang Pause – 7m
- Baby with transforms, slices, dices and a drag – 7m
- 2 click flare twiddle over a 2 part vocal – 9m
- Slice, 2 transforms forward, reverse crab and flare combo – 7m
- Reverse crab and flares – 6m
- Slice and transforms – 8m
- Military, swing flare / boomerang – 8m
- Delayed flare styles – 9m
- Forward, reverse, crab – 8m
43 Videos, Total Time: 8 hours.
Course 6 – Scratch & Music Theory
Make your scratching flow and become more musical in your expression.
- Counting Beats & Bars – 10m
- Beats, Note Length & Timing – 10m
- Triplets – 6m
- Syncopation – 21m
- Syncopation in Action – 46
- Swing – 22m
- Vocal Cuts – 41m – The ultimate guide to scratching with vocal samples!
- Vocal Cuts part 2 – 11m
- Stutter Vocal Cuts – 20m
- Say It Before You Play It – 6m
10 Videos, Total Time: 3 hours 14 mins.
Course 7 – QnA Training Videos
Not got anyone to jam with? Now you do! Practice your scratching with me. 22 Videos, Total Time: 3 hours 56 mins.
Course 8 – Technical Guides
This section covers technical tips and tricks that can help make your scratch life easier! Currently featuring 3 super helpful videos from guest tutor and video pro Suckertash.
- How To Record Better Scratch Videos – Part 1 – Equipment & Setup – 7 mins
- How To Record Better Scratch Videos – Part 2 – Recording – 5 mins
- How To Record Better Scratch Videos – Part 3 – Post Production / Editing – 10 mins
3 Videos, Total Time: 22 mins.
Combined Total School of Scratch Video Time: 24 hours 20 mins
Ready to learn how to scratch? Join School of Scratch today.
School of Scratch also contains:
Two places to connect with other students, via…
A Community Discussion Forum
Here you can:
- Meet other DJs.
- Discuss what you are learning with other students.
- Share links to your scratch videos for other students to watch.
- Share your progress and tips you have learned and be inspired on your scratch journey!
Chat to fellow classmates via text in real time, by jumping into our private Discord server where you can connect with our very friendly and welcoming community of DJs aka the Supa Scratch Crew.
About Your Tutor
Emma has been scratching since the year 2000, when she discovered she had a love for fr-fr-fresh scratching and funky Hip-Hop. After much time spent learning techniques and developing her flow, she now loves to break things down for anyone who wants to learn the art. Emma founded Studio Scratches in 2008, opened School of Scratch in 2014 and is dedicated to assisting you become excellent at the art of scratching. She has a passion for sharing knowledge and encouraging and inspiring others to achieve their dreams.
Meet your classmates – The Supa Scratch Crew
The Supa Scratch Crew are the awesome members of School of Scratch. They are scratch DJs from all over the world, who have varying levels of skill and experience. I have never met such an amazingly supportive, positive, encouraging group of DJs who care about each other’s progress and experience in the School and in life. When you join School of Scratch, you are joining our crew.
Join School of Scratch
Unlimited 24/7 Access
Classroom of HD Scratch Tutorial Videos
Proven curriculum you can work through
Practice Cheat Sheet
QnA Training Videos
Community Discussion Forums
Private Facebook Group Access
Private Discord Server Access
Monthly Scratch Challenges to help you practice and progress
100 Days of Scratching Challenge Access
100 Days of Practice Challenge / Program Access
24+ hours of content
Ahhh & Fresh Samples
10 Beats for Scratch Practice
Speed Booster Training mp3
How do I get started & how much does it cost?
Choose a membership option below to get started today. As soon as you purchase, you will get immediate access (via user name and password) to the School of Scratch ? and our Supa Scratch Crew Community ❤️.
Choose a Membership option:
1 Month Membership
Most affordable. Spread the cost of learning.
$49 a month*
- *Membership renews automatically every month, cancel anytime
BEST VALUE – A single one off payment gets you unlimited lifetime access to the School and community.
Now enrolling for June 2023!
Total Lifetime Memberships available for June 2023 = 5
Enrolment closes on June 5, 2023.
Unlimited Lifetime Access = $749 single payment
Lifetime Bonuses and Perks include:
- Ultimate Beats for Scratch Practice download ($90 value)
- Ultimate Scratch Samples download ($25 value)
- Supa Scratch Crew Control Vinyl Labels
- Friends and family pricing on our Supa Scratch Crew Apparel
Payment Plan Available
Spread the cost and pay 3 payments of $250.
*You will be charged $250 a month for 3 months.
“I am a complete beginner, I am worried I am not good enough to join.“
Please don’t worry! You are the reason School of Scratch was created! Complete beginners are catered to and we have a 100 day starter program you can work through so you can start enjoying the art of scratching. Our community is super supportive and encouraging. We all know what it feels like to be new at this!
“What equipment do I need?”
Course 1 – “Equipment Needed” walks you through the equipment you need to enjoy scratching. Put simply, you need: A turntable with cartridge and stylus, mixer, slipmat and some vinyl to scratch with. If you would like to know more, download my Scratch DJ Equipment Guide. You’ll also need an internet connection to log into the School and watch the videos and interact in the community.
“You scratch hamster and with your right hand on the crossfader, but I scratch regular and / or with my other hand on the fader. Can I still learn and benefit?”
Absolutely! Scratching can be broken down into moving the record backwards and forwards whilst opening and closing the crossfader. Simply take these principles and apply it to whichever hand you use on the crossfader, hamster or regular. We have many regular students in the School and I break down the techniques in terms of open and closed fader movements to make it simple for regular style fader students.
“I use a controller, not turntables + a mixer. Can I benefit from the lessons?”
YES! I mainly teach using turntables and vinyl DVS AND I also have 17 lessons teaching the basics on a Reloop Beatpad 2 controller, using Algoriddim djay 2 software. Scratching with digital controllers is totally possible, the only difference is it feels a little different than using vinyl, because often the platters don’t spin and are so much smaller. Many controllerists use my tutorials and adapt the basic principles to their digital setup. The art of scratching is really about moving the platters backwards and forwards and turning the crossfader off and on. It’s only the finer subtleties of the moving platter that are missing when you use a controller. I also recommend watching the free tutorial on this page above to see if you can apply the principles to the specific controller you are using. Both vinyl heads and controllerists are welcome in the school! Many of us use both.
“Aren’t there free scratch tutorial videos on YouTube I can watch and learn from?”
Yes AND the School of Scratch is a dedicated place to learn from professionally recorded, high quality videos, in an order that makes the most sense. You won’t have to search to find what’s next or piece together incomplete information. We have a complete curriculum you can follow step by step. You’ll also benefit from being in our positive community who will support your scratch journey. After all, scratching is so much more than just techniques!
“Do you cover advanced techniques?”
Yes we do! From the Boomerang to all flavours of the Autobahn scratches and advanced combos, there is something for everyone. All levels are welcome! If you are advanced – I recommend checking my DJcity combos which combine all of the advance level scratches, the QnA section where you can jam along. Learning and inspiration is possible at every level, we got you covered!
“Is there any minimum commitment or lock-in on the monthly membership?”
No, absolutely not. You can cancel anytime. If you need to take a break and leave at any time you can. You are also welcome back at any time!
“Will Emma give me personal feedback on my videos in the School?”
No, this is not a service Emma offers.
“Does Emma offer private one on one lessons via zoom?“
No, Emma does not offer private DJ lessons in person or online.
“I have another question…”
Please check the Frequently Asked Questions page. If you do not see the answer to your question, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org and you will receive a reply.
Ready to learn how to scratch? – Join School of Scratch today!
SoS Students in Action
Some of our current students in action using skills honed in the School.